About the Stours
We have about 130 footpaths across our four parishes. Click here for more information or see 'contact us' for the footpath liaison officer.
Information about rights of way and how to report a problems. Click here for more information
East Stour and Stour Provost are the larger parishes each having in the region of 250 dwellings with populations of around 550. West Stour has about 80 dwellings and a population of approximately 200. Todber is the smallest parish with around 55
dwellings and an electorate of about 140.
Stour Provost parish comprises the village of Stour Provost and the smaller communities of Woodville and Stour Row. It also contains the majority of the Woodland Trust’s property at Duncliffe Wood, the remainder being in East Stour.
Within the parish council area there are many working farms, and equestrian businesses
including an event arena at West Stour. There is a small business park, two sets of commercial fishing lakes and a butchery as well as numerous small local enterprises including car sales, garage, plant sales and a hairdresser.
We have Stower Provost Community School (note the spelling) which is a local first
school with a pre-school also accommodated at the premises. It is located in Woodville within Stour Provost Parish
There are parish council managed playing fields at East Stour and Stour Provost.
There are four parish churches: Christ Church, East Stour; St. Michael and All Angels,
Stour Provost; St. Andrews, Todber; and St Mary’s, West
Stour. There are village halls in East Stour, Stour Provost, Stour Row and West Stour
There are three pubs all with restaurants and rooms: - The Crown and the Kings Arms in
East Stour and the Ship in West Stour. In addition there are a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and some holiday accommodation.
The A30 road runs through the parish area and situated on it is a petrol station with a shop and a nearby café in West Stour and the Udder Farm Shop in East Stour.
"Todber is a small parish, covering 378 acres and with a population of 140 at the Census in 2011.
The Parish Church of St Andrew was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1879, by Elizabeth Marchioness of Westminster. The tower contains bells dated 1736-7, one of which was recast in 1879. The register dates from 1653.
The main commercial activity in the Parish is farming, with a coarse fishery business established at Todber Manor, providing recreational facilities and